Whether you’ve already made the decision to undergo breast augmentation – or are still in the research stage – it’s important to know about the incision sites and placement of the implants for your procedure. After all, the incision site can make a big difference in terms of how visible your scars may be, while implant placement can be the deciding factor in how natural your new breasts look.
At Song Plastic Surgery in Irvine, California (also serving the greater Irvine, California areas), board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Kyle Song is dedicated to providing patients with the information they need to make their procedure decisions with confidence and ease. In terms of incision sites and placement of implants for breast augmentation, here’s what you need to know.
Before the breast augmentation procedure, you and Dr. Song will discuss what incisions are best for your desired results during a consultation. Dr. Song may recommended three incision sites, which include the following:
- Periareolar Incision: This is where the incision is made around the lower half of the areola.
- Inframammary Incision: This is where the incision will be made underneath the breast. The incision is usually kept small in order to minimize post-surgical scarring.
- Transaxillary Incision: This final option is where Dr. Song creates an incision in the armpit area. This is ideal for patients who wish to completely minimize scarring from the breast augmentation procedure.
During the consultation stage, Dr. Song will decide where the incision should be placed based on the type of breast implant used, the size of the implant, your body shape and size, and your ideal preference.
Once the incision site has been determined, Dr. Song will opt to place the breast implant in either one of two locations:
- Underneath the pectoral muscle. This is the most common type of placement, as it helps achieve a natural look.
- Behind the breast tissue and over the pectoral muscle.
Like with the incision sites, the type of breast implant you’re using, the desired size of the implant, your body shape and size, and your ideal preferences will determine the ultimate decision. Dr. Song will also make recommendations to ensure you achieve your desired results.
To learn more about your implant and incision placements during the breast augmentation procedure, schedule a consultation with Dr. Song at Song Plastic Surgery in Irvine, California today – (949) 701-4454.