Have you been wondering if you’re a good candidate for a breast reduction procedure?
Maybe you’ve been experiencing significant back and shoulder pain as a result of your large chest. Or you’re tired of feeling as though you can never find clothes that properly fit. Or maybe you’re just ready to go about your normal gym routine without constantly needing to double-up on your sports bras.
Regardless of your motivation for undergoing a breast reduction, it’s important to note that the main goal of this procedure is to reduce the burden you might be experiencing due to larger breasts. Ideal candidates for breast reduction surgery usually fit the following criteria:
- You’re over the age of 21
- You’re a healthy non-smoker
- You have large breasts that cause significant pain and discomfort in your back and shoulders
- You have shoulder pain from your bra straps pressing into your skin
- You get constant heat irritation and rashes underneath your breasts
- You find it difficult to exercise
- You sometimes experience breathing problems as a result of the weight on your chest
If you meet some or all of the above criteria, a breast reduction procedure could help you regain more freedom of movement while minimizing back, neck, and shoulder pain.
The procedure itself is performed in an outpatient center under general anesthesia. During the breast reduction procedure, your plastic surgeon will remove some breast tissue, trim off excess skin, and reposition the nipple so that it matches your new breast shape.
Most patients notice an immediate improvement after the surgery; what’s more, patients can return to their normal activities within a couple of days, and even resume light exercise at the gym within two weeks. Want to learn if you’re a good candidate for breast reduction surgery? Schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Kyle Song at Song Plastic Surgery in Irvine, CA to find out more. (949) 701-4454